Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Winter

I've been working on and off for the last couple of weeks on Snapko's film 'Winter' again. It's been interesting because it was about this time last year that I began working on it. Before I go any furthur I'd like to note that I'm not an important person on the shoot at all, no creative input, I haven't even probably been on half of it. Just wanted that out there so I didn't sound like I was shooting a feature of my own or anything. But Jim tends to work with a really small crew, maybe one or two people in the crew and he does all of his own cinematograhy. As I continue to try to get projects the breadth of impinging forces upon the independent filmmaker becomes more evident to me. I've actually only worked on one film that's finished. Jake Yuzna's film 'Open,' which I worked on through the bulk of the summer last year isn't finished, in fact, he's flying back to Minneapolis in a couple weeks to begin reshoots. But the time it has taken to get these done is intimidating. As I work on scripts of my own I feel like they can't possibly be ready at the moment, because to work on a film for two years or more is a commitment. Not that I don't have a work ethic that would see a film through but that I feel like the passion must die. The excitement and thrill of making art, seeing what you've written come to life might die as you work, as you realize that maybe things aren't as tight as you were hoping.

I find this to be a depressing revelation.

But, I guess, it must also be a positive expereince because it makes me, well no that's a lie, it should make me want to go more in depth with my writing, to really weed out the issues, the details that don't interest me. There's a lesson in here somewhere. but I'm not sure where it went.

1 comment:

David Luke Doody said...

I think I get it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do anything about it. Revision be damned!