Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Swoon's "Today I will be a compensated spokesperson"

The wonderful Marc Neys, aka Swoon, has posted a new videopoem that uses, as text, a poem of mine that was originally published in Opium titled "Today I will be a compensated spokesperson."

I really like what he did with it. It's a beautiful collage and soundscape that makes me think about the poem a little differently.

That's the scary thing about posting work to the Poetry Storehouse (see below) for anyone to remix. You don't know what will emerge from their work. It's out of your hands. You hope that it goes well, but passing off something you care about make you (read: me) instinctively believe that things will go terribly awry. This piece, for me, represents one of the great potentials that exists in that Not-Knowing: it might produces new associations, new juxtapositions to tease something different out of the text than how it existed on the page/screen. You might find something unexpected in your own work.

My poem was taken from The Poetry Storehouse, an platform for multi-media artists to find poems for raw material and remixing. I donea couple videos with other poets' work from there as well. It's a good place with good poems and good videos.

Today I will be a compensated spokesperson from Marc Neys (aka Swoon) on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Swoon said...

Thanks for your comment and for leaving the poem at The Poetry Warehouse...